In this post I will try to explain use of Atlas and Polis tokens in game briefly, tried to keep it short enough to understand what you are investing 😉
If you are here for in depth explanation with extensive details, please refer to economics-paper in useful links section
First things first,
QUICK KNOWLEDGE and FACTS
- Total supply POLIS = 360 million, total supply will be unlocked at a decreasing rate in 6+ years
- Total supply ATLAS = 36 billion, total supply will be unlocked at a decreasing rate in 6+ years
- Max supply increase rate and such things that would effect overall game economy can be voted by players using POLIS DAO tokens
- There is a possibility that ships could be bought with ATLAS, Dollar cost of ships will remain same but ATLAS could be used to purchase it. (This is mentioned but not definitive knowledge, but also highly likely that it will be the first voting poll in game to be decided by players)
- Single side staking for ATLAS and POLIS is not available right now, POLIS staking will be available in 9 December acording to roadmap
Super simple basic description is,
Day to day transactional currency used to buy fuel,food, repair items, etc, — ATLAS
Share of the game, power coin to stake and vote in DAOs and participate in territory governance — POLIS
The minting and burning of ATLAS will be purely based on game user-base growth and adoption. The Star Atlas supply and price will be kept on a level to maintain reasonable in-game asset pricing internally and optimize the entry level for new users, while allowing for appreciation externally.
- ATLAS is the form of currency/income in the game. The market clears at the price at which the buy-side perceives the value of the production of in-game assets, as ATLAS can be earned within the game.
- The currency is inflatable. The monetary mass should grow at roughly the same rate as the in-game economy
- The POLIS DAO can adjust the parameters regulating monetary rewards for different in-game activities, both on the global level and granularly, per activity type.
- New ATLAS is created to reward in-game activities (see diagram below)
The monetary policy of ATLAS will follow a route with three distinct phases
Discretionary (central bank). The development team adjusts the emission rates directly, using the developer’s DAO votes to modify the multipliers on in-game rewards of each type The target is to make the game accessible and optimal for growth of the user base, while providing a reasonable revenue for the POLIS holders
Discretionary (decentralized governance). The emission rates are still based on modifying the reward multipliers, but the developers’ votes are phased out, and the DAO takes control
Parametric (decentralized governance). The system is replaced with an algorithmic stabilization model that considers macroeconomic metrics and external token markets. This was done to set targets for the monetary mass, as well as to adjust rewards and burning accordingly. The model has to be enabled by a supermajority DAO vote, which will be parametric after
deployment, with DAO being able to modify its KPIs
The distribution pool will be injected into the ATLAS Recirculation Fund via a smooth curve over 8 years, dropping the entire rewards pool over this time—unless the DAO rules otherwise. The vision for the DAO interventions is that the organization will set semiannual targets based on the observed economic metrics which will adjust the drop schedule accordingly.
As an asset, POLIS is a low-velocity, long-term store-of-value that incentivizes governance of the ATLAS economy for its long-run production. The POLIS DAO is tasked with the minting, distribution, and redistribution of ATLAS within the ATLAS treasury, and earn portions of the returns in ATLAS to the developments they vote to fund.
With a long-term perspective, DAO governors will ultimately be able to drive the direction of Metaverse development. Even to the extent that the founding Star Atlas development team could be voted out as the primary vendor for game assets and game design. Other areas of more immediate focus include: economic revisions, feature releases, asset release schedules, and optionality to incorporate player-created content.
The total supply of POLIS is permanently fixed and does not increase (unless otherwise voted for increase by DAO)
POLIS can be acquired in the following ways:
- Primary Issuance: The Star Atlas team may directly sell POLIS tokens to potential governors
- Secondary Markets: Can be bought and sold on secondary markets, but come with a finite variety of lockup/vesting schedules
- In-game Rewards: Completing certain missions in-game
- Metagame Rewards
- Governance Participation: Staking in the DAO and being active
- Meta-economics Rewards: Liquidity provision on AMMs and other DeFi entities